11 February 2007

Wat's up?

From now until I leave on the 20th, I will be (over)indulging on all the foods that I love and likely will not get to eat for the next four or so months. This morning, that meant cinnamon rolls, of which I had six. Yes, that is a lot, but you must understand that I have no self-control. I also plan to not eat lunch. I would hope to have a small dinner, but in the fridge are a plethora of leftovers from last night's fabulous feast.

That would be a feast of Ethiopian food. If you know me, you know that my only true addiction is to Ethiopian food. Since none of my friends are here and my family is not as fanatical as I, I can't find anyone to go to Cafe Lalibela on a weekly basis to experience the gastronomical wonders of wats, injeeras, and heavy spices. So, I decided to make some at home. I made three dishes plus injeera bread. It took me five hours, five onions, and a head and half of garlic. Yum.

The first dish I made was the spicy lentils.



Then I made Doro Wat, a spicy chicken in a stew-like sauce.



I also made Vegetable Alecha, a mild vegetable stew with peppers, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, and cabbage.
And here they all are! There's plenty more where that came from. Lots of leftovers. Mmmmm....





Next weekend I'm going to Lalibela, and I think I'll go to Soma before I leave, and fill up on some hummus. Had my last lasagna on Thursday, and I think I'll have to go out for one last Indian hurrah, but the Indian places here are no match for Tanjore in Boston or my beloved Ashoka in Firenze, Italia.

I've spent most of my day marking places I want to go in Beijing, paying special attention, of course, to the restaurants. I'll save that for a later post, but let's just say my mouth is already watering.

No comments: